Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Festivity in Epidaurus - 2500 years ago.

 

Ancient Theatre of the Asklepieion at Epidaurus  - 

Αρχαίο Θέατρο Ασκληπιείου Επιδαύρου


450 years before the common era, that is circa 2500 years ago, the play The Frogs was put on the scene in Epidauros, a suburb of Athens.  Today is Rosh HaShana and I have nothing to do so read again the play. It is very long and disjointed, starts with gross jokes about pissing, within the classical (already old) figure of the smart slave and the stupid owner. Then comes the chorus of the frogs, totally out of place, without anything related to the subject matter of the play. Later appears a chorus of mystical initiates, invoking Iacchus, an obscure daimon, played by a young man leading the procession of the Eleusinian Mysteries (mystery=rite) at the ritual cry of joy "iakhe" of the initiates. Long after this nonsense singing and dancing, the play turns serious around the question of which poet was better:  Euripides or Aeschylus. I imagine that the Athenian citizens (only free-born racially pure males) spent an entertaining evening watching the show (the entrance was free). 

1 comment:

  1. Never met any hacker as discreet and fast like this Best System Hackers. They are called Best System Hacks and they has helped me in multiple ways first was when my ex spouse cheated on me- they got me every information from my spouse phone number and now they are helping me paying my credit cards debts. They have the best hacking tools plus service any one can ever imagine and I recommend him to the world. I am thankful and grateful for the second chance. Honestly, Best System hackers are life savers please contact them here if you need their swift service Email; BESTSYSTEMHACKSOLUTION@GMAIL.COM or text him on WhatsApp +1 (602) 609-4730 he is very trustworthy.

    ReplyDelete