Monday, January 4, 2021

No retirement in view


I had set a date to retire finally from working as freelance planning engineer and that date is two days from now. But clients are pressuring me to take new projects, money no problem. If I do not work, what shall I do? Tai-chi in the park? My wife is busy tending her hundred years old mother, and my over-worked daughters. but me?  I wonder.  Nice anecdote: I remember seeing older guys getting on the bus to go home from the San Francisco financial district…thousand yard stares, rumpled suits, briefcases.  I thought they looked ancient.  They were probably 50.  I remember listening to this new band on my Sony Walkman on the bus.  One of those ancient guys asked me what I was listening to.  I told him, it was the Police.  He laughed and asked me if I liked the Firemen and the Garbagemen to.  I didn’t think he was funny, nor would have Gordon Sumner, aka Sting.

No comments:

Post a Comment