Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Thanksgiving


I am aware of my age and condition, yet I only realize my situation by looking at my old friends.  Today died Alejandro Alaluf and found a sad story about his wife Sarita. We all made aliyah at the same time and spent half a year in the Kfar Saba ulpan. Alejandro married Sarita Gelbard and opened a dental clinic here. In the clip (pic), I cannot recognize the sexy redhead I knew then. Forty years in the same village, and they never invited me. Now she is very ill, secluded at home, looking demented. At the start of the COVID-19 epidemy, she panicked and paid 13,000 sheqels (3500 US$ then) to a "friendly" neighbor for a dozen of masks. I feel blessed am still living, healthy and working; my wife and the family are all right. I  have survived virtually all my male friends, yet I am still far from the average life expectancy of Israeli males. As Solon answered king Croesus if he considered him "happy" and living a good life, 

I count no man happy until his death, for no man can know what the gods may have in store for him. (Herodotus, I.32)

No comments:

Post a Comment