Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Edgardo


 My friend Edgardo Schinder stopped answering emails and his son Immanuel wrote that he had "ascended to a higher plane". His latest emails were from Hawaii, where his daughter was living (she was married to an American working on the naval base), 

He called himself Osiris, I imagine he saw himself as related to that Egyptian god. Maybe that was his middle name. 

I don't want to write an obituary. We met in high school, Nacional Mariano Moreno, Buenos Aires. He was the son of a Jewish doctor of the Baron Hirsch colonies in Entre Rios. He was the very best student of all of us, always 100 in every subject.  He was interested in environmental medicine and ended up teaching as many of my friends did.

He had immigrated to Israel, worked in a hospital in Beer Sheba, and then in Tel Aviv. He was always worried about his wife, Mercedes, who is the daughter of Spanish immigrants. He insisted that she was a Jewish descendant.  (I never discussed the idea, but doubt that after 500 years it can be established). She is a psychiatrist, very soft and quiet. 

My old friends are rapidly dying off. I am healthy, thank you. 

 

1 comment:

  1. I'm on the younger side of old and enjoy your blog. Don't go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete