Thursday, April 2, 2020

Stopping the Economy to fight the Pandemic

Some are doubting the wisdom of stopping the economy, closing down factories and shops to fight the corona flu. After all, the actual disease affects about 1% of the infected and the number of deaths is statistically insignificant and of unhealthy/improductive people. Everybody is suffering, in Israel one million persons are unemployed and without income, business is closed and cheap loans are super-risky because loads the business with debts that will have to be paid back. England tried to choose a more rational path but soon had to adopt drastic measures like everyone else. I am old and deep in the endangered class, so I assume I am unable to think clearly. Anyway, the State of Israel has decided what to do and possess the means to exact compliance from small people like me.

The economy is adapting to the pandemic. Everything is being done by computer and mobile phone. A self-help parallel economy is aborning: people drive out to farms to buy produce, and they are sewing and selling masks. I have been working from my home studio for the last twenty years, so I feel the difference only by having my wife non-stop over me or shouting on the phone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment