Saturday, February 24, 2018

The Crossness Pumping Station

I spent many hours in pumping stations, in Israel and other countries, and never saw a more beautiful and inventive sewage facility. This Victorian station was a revolution in it design, in the enormous iron wheels and gates. I am a fan of everything related to the British industrial revolution, and could spend another week in the Manchester Industrial Museum and roaming the old factories and kilns of North West England. I for one think the Industrial Revolution had an important esthetic element, the machines were elegant and much decorated, their products useful, cheap and beautiful. I had a dream of renting a boat or barge, and to explore England's network of canals, but my wife and daughters are not interested. Well, some dreams have to be left for the next life, not that there will be one.

No comments:

Post a Comment