Tuesday, July 31, 2018

American Mistery

P.B., a veteran of Greg Cochran's blog, commented:
Then I was recruited on an emergency basis to teach an Oracle class at another private college. The scheduled Oracle guy had taken off. One of the students obviously had Down’s Syndrome. I question him. He had been enrolled in several classes and had always gotten good grades. He got it into his defective brain that he should be a Data Base Administrator. Impossible of course – he was seriously retarded. His company sent him to college and paid all tuition and expenses if he got a ‘B’ or better.
So when he turned in his final exam completely blank – I had a problem. Here was this handicapped guy who was going to be hit with a substantial set of payments if I gave him the ‘F’ he deserved.
I wasn’t tough enough. I gave him a ‘B’ just had a whole series of instructors before me.

I answered:


  • J says:
    So when he turned in his final exam completely blank … Your charity was misplaced. You condemned that unlucky fellow to a life of suffering. He goes back to his employer and will be promoted to Administrator, a job he will not be able to perform. When dismissed, he may sue the company for “racism” or whatever you call it.
    What I wanted to say is that it is a mystery how, with such bleeding-heart computer science teachers, America was able to send manned missions to the Moon. Today, America is engaged in a life-or-death duel with Asian monsters like North Korea, and with covert intelligence-operations-minded Russia. Will it be able to cope with handicapped Administrators? I am convinced PB's generosity could never happen in China or Russia. In Israel, I am sorry to say, we follow America. Except that here, every once a while, we hit the hard wall of reality and are forced to return to our senses.

7 comments:

  1. China and Russia are worse off.

    The guy with Down's Syndrome will never be allowed to make a crucial decision or touch a live production database (by the way, anyone using Oracle today on a non-legacy system must himself be retarded.)

    On the other hand, there are a ton of people in Russia/China who are dumb but not retarded, and who have access to important systems and decisions because of bribery, nepotism and other sorts of corruption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been in China's universities, and there is much influence-trading, I feel this could not happen there. I mean President Xi's retarded daughter would graduate with gold medal diploma, sure, but that would be politics and the inexistent generosity of the teachers would play no role.

      Delete
    2. I'm not talking about President Xi's retarded daughter, I'm talking about the town's police chief's arrogant idiot son with an IQ of 105 being put in a position where his steady level of stupidity and arrogance affects the lives of 100s of 1000s of people over decades.

      Delete
    3. Well, that is another issue, unrelated to granting free pass grades to retarded students.

      Nepotism in China, will never disappear, but super-low fertility will make it less generalized. Most powerful people have one or no children.

      Delete
    4. I invented the image of President Xi having a retarded daughter in order to impress the example. As far as I know, his daughter is in Harvard.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete